Either because building a new home, remodelling or simply because the house needs a new paint job, everyone needs to paint home from time to time. Painting requires a not complex skill; still sometimes it may present some doubts and difficulties, especially for those who have never experienced a task of such characteristics before. In this regard there are two different approaches: paint your home yourself or hire a professional painter to do it for you. To make a decision about this, you have to know the advantages and disadvantages of both. So you can decide more easily here are some tips:
Advantages of hiring someone to paint the house:
If you can afford it and if you do not really have time to paint your house, it is advisable to hire a painter. Doing so, you’ve really gotten rid of a lot of work because it requires a significant investment of your time and effort. The good thing about hiring someone is that companies that are dedicated to this job usually have this work done faster than if you do it yourself and also tend to have several professional practitioners, which is always faster than only one person working.
They will not only do it much more quickly, but also more efficiently. By this we mean that, in general, hiring such services provides superior appearance, which will make your home look better. You might consider this option; however, there are a few disadvantages to be taken in consideration.
Disadvantages of hiring someone to paint your house:
Some people prefer to paint their houses themselves, as it is a way to give the house a personal touch. Unlike hiring someone, some prefer to make the job themselves precisely to provide the environment that personal touch that identifies them.
Quality has a cost and that means that hiring someone to do the job is a much higher final cost than if instead,you decide to paint the house yourself. So much so that from the final price which you can pay a companydedicated to painting, only a low percent is intended to cover the costs of paint and materials. This means thatthe remaining higher percent is what you are really paying for the service.
How to make your choice
Of course both options will lead you to have your house painted, which is the goal we seek. So what you have to look at is, what approach are you most comfortable with? If you prefer to do things yourself and want to save some money, then choose to buy the paint and do it yourself.
If instead you want things to be easier and you can afford it, hire a company or someone to do the work for you. To decide on whom to hire, the important thing is that you feel comfortable with the people you choose to do the work.
If you decide to do it yourself, check out this brief guide of some considerations:
1. To paint, keep the windows open. It may seem silly but it is not. With the windows wide open, walls dry faster and also the odour goes away sooner.
2. Illumine well the area you will paint, either with external light or interior lighting. Only with good lighting you will be able to see failures while you’re working, before the painting is definite.
3. Before starting to paint, drape switches well with masking tape or simply remove them. That way it will be easier to paint and have a better finish.
4. Covers the floor too. It is best that you get the painter plastic sold in hardware stores but you can also try an old blanket that leaves not much moisture transfer or newspaper.
5. Paint the walls the color you want, but keep the ceiling white. This gives more visual height to the room(and also the white paint is cheaper than the color one, which saves costs).
6. If you choose to paint the furniture the same color as the walls, you will considerably increase the visual depth and give the room an air of “sculpture”. Consider that this way the furniture will barely be noticed and you will have to divert attention to other decorative items.
7. Paint the moldings the same color as the ceiling. Painting otherwise may seem bold, but in the end all you’re going to get is shortening the visual space.
8. If your ceiling is too high and you want to shrink it visually, paint it two shades darker than the walls. Consider anyhow that, with this technique you will also darken the room a little.
9. Use glossy finishes only in the bathroom and kitchen. For the rest of the house, prefer matte finishes. This prevents the whole house to shine but you can always try to combine two finishes.
10. Have fun and take it easy. If you see you cannot do it, it is always best to call a professional than to leave the job half done.
Remember that either the option you choose, both are good to get your place painted. At the end of the day what matters is that you will enjoy the final finish of your house.